Be The Change
A Youth Service Learning Summit
November 11-14, 2021
American Revolution Museum at Yorktown
Ordinary people made extraordinary choices that changed the world during the American Revolution. The need for change continues still, and it relies on the leadership and action of American citizens, including today’s youth.
“Be the Change” brings together high school students and their teachers or organization leaders from across Virginia to focus on leadership, service and civic responsibility. Students will be inspired to take action by developing projects to improve their community. To apply, complete and submit the online form below.
This conference aims to:
- Be an active hands-on experience that has students “up and doing.”
- Help students and leaders develop a framework for project-based learning and assessment in social studies.
- Provide an opportunity for students to collaborate and develop a plan for making an impact in their community.
Virginia teachers and organization leaders will be required to:
- Attend with 2-4 students.
- Collaborate with students and leaders attending the conference.
- Assist students in development of a project that impacts their community, starting during the program and continuing into the school year.
- Provide program assessment and follow-up to tell us how the conference and resulting project impacted their students and the community.
Successful applicants will receive a $1,000 grant to implement their community program once they participate in all virtual and on-site aspects of the program. As a grant program, the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation requires updates from teachers and students about the progress of their projects as well as an outlined budget of how the money was spent to achieve their goals and objectives.
The American Revolution Museum at Yorktown will provide overnight accommodations, meals, travel stipend and programming at no cost to selected participants. The Youth Service Learning Summit is generously sponsored by the Camp family foundations, the Carter Cabell Chinnis Charitable Trust, and the Carter C. Chinnis and Beverly B. Chinnis Irrevocable Living Annuity Trust Agreement.
Complete the form below to submit your application for Be The Change: A Youth Service Learning Summit:
Agents of Change Youth Leadership Conference – October 2018
The first youth leadership conference, “Agents of Change,” in October 2018 brought together high school students from rural, suburban and urban communities from across Virginia to focus on service learning and civic responsibility. Students returned home with the framework to implement service projects in their communities.
Civic leader and patriotic philanthropist David M. Rubenstein was the keynote speaker, sharing with the students his own perspective on civic engagement and the importance of American history.
Gifts and grants made during the American Revolution at Yorktown Campaign for Support provided full scholarships for participants. Learn how you can support the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation and its educational mission at jyfmuseums.org/donate.