WILLIAMSBURG, Va., March 22, 2010 – A massive bronze sculpture designed by nationally prominent wildlife sculptor David H. Turner will be installed by early April at Jamestown Settlement’s Quadricentennial Plaza, an outdoor, flag-lined space adjacent to the museum entrance. Jamestown Settlement, operated by the state’s Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation, chronicles 17th-century Virginia and the convergence of Powhatan Indian, European and west central African cultures.
Comprised of three ship masts and wind-blown sails, the new sculpture resembles the logo of “America’s 400th Anniversary,” a series of events in 2006 and 2007 that commemorated and drew national attention to the 1607 founding in Virginia of America’s first permanent English colony. The 3,000-pound, 18-foot-long sculpture will be placed in an existing circular fountain, where jets of water will splash through the sails. At its tallest point, the sculpture will rise 17 feet above the water surface.
The sculpture was produced at Turner Sculpture in Onley, on Virginia’s Eastern Shore, by a team of 11 artisans using the “lost wax” method of bronze casting. This process involved sculpting in clay and wax and pouring 2,000-degree molten bronze into molds, creating more than 75 pieces later welded together. The work will be transported to Jamestown Settlement during the week of March 29 and installed with a stainless steel base anchoring system.
Turner, a native Virginian and graduate of the College of William and Mary, “focused on evoking an emotional connection rather than on minute details” in designing the sculpture. The work includes stylized bronze ropes and riggings that enhance the design and provide structural support. Turner’s more than 60 commissioned sculptures are on public display across the country and include “Eagle & Eaglets” at Constitution Hall, “Trio of Herons” at Virginia Beach Town Center and “Canada Geese” at Chicago Botanic Garden.
The sculpture was funded by donations made during “The Campaign for Jamestown Settlement, 1607-2007,” including leadership gifts from The Cabell Foundation and the late Robert F. Suleski, to the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation, Inc., a non-profit entity that coordinates fundraising in support of Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation programs. Jamestown Settlement’s Quadricentennial Plaza was developed as part of a transformation of the museum’s facilities and exhibits in advance of the 2007 commemoration. Jamestown Settlement’s exhibits include an introductory film, expansive exhibit galleries and historical interpretation in outdoor re-created settings – a Powhatan Indian village, the three English ships that arrived in Virginia in 1607 and a colonial fort – and a seasonal riverfront discovery area with an economic and cultural exchange theme.
For more information about Jamestown Settlement, located just southwest of Williamsburg at State Route 31 and the Colonial Parkway in James City County, visit hif.ciniva.net or call (888) 593-4682.