Teacher Institute Contents
2019 Summer Teacher Institute Contents
Upper elementary and middle school teachers from across Virginia are invited to apply for the 2019 Summer Teacher Institute. Twenty participants will be selected to join us from July 8-11 at Jamestown Settlement living-history museum in Williamsburg, Virginia. This Institute is funded by private donors, and provided at no cost to participants. Hotel accommodations (double occupancy) and all meals are also provided.
The 2019 Institute will begin at 1:00 p.m., Monday, July 8 and end at 1:00 p.m., Thursday, July 11. Participants are actively engaged in both indoor and outdoor activities from around 8:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. each day of the Institute. A stipend and certification of professional development hours will be issued to participants upon completion of all Summer Institute and fall follow-up activities.
Participants are responsible for completing assigned reading of 17th- century historical content to prepare for the institute. Online reading content will be identified in June to allow ample time for completion prior to the start of the Institute.
- Hands-on guided tour of Jamestown Settlement lead by education staff.
- Participation in two days of special interactive programs in the Powhatan Indian village, James Fort and the ships.
- Collaboratively designing learning activities using the resources at our museum and guided by knowledgeable museum staff.
- Interaction with teaching peers from various parts of Virginia.
- Develop project-based learning related to 17th-century historical content.
- Receive teaching resources to use in your school.
- Earn re-certification points.
Participants will be responsible for completion of an assigned follow-up activity in the fall of 2019.
Submit your application and recommendation by March 1, 2019 – click here for instructions for recommendation letters.