2020 Summer Teacher Institute
July 13-16, 2020
Upper elementary and middle school teachers from across Virginia are invited to apply for the 2020 Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation Summer Teacher Institute. Twenty participants will be selected to join us from July 13 to 16 at the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown, a living-history museum in Yorktown, Va. This institute is funded by the Charles S. and Millicent P. Brown Foundation and provided at no cost to participants. Hotel and meals are also provided.
The 2020 Teacher Institute will begin at 1 p.m., Monday, July 13, and end at 1 p.m., Thursday, July 16. Participants are actively engaged in both indoor and outdoor program activities from around 8:30 a.m. until 7 p.m. on the second and third days of the Institute. A stipend is provided, and certification of professional development hours will be issued to participants upon completion of the institute and fall follow-up activities.
Participants are responsible for completing assigned reading of 18th-century/American Revolution historical content to prepare for the Teacher Institute. Online reading content will be identified in late spring to allow plenty of time for completion prior to July 13.
- Hands-on guided tour of the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown led by education staff.
- Two days of special interactive and authentic learning programs in the Revolutionary-era farm and Continental Army encampment.
- Collaboration with fellow teachers to design performance tasks and learning learn activities using the resources at our museum and guided by knowledgeable museum staff.
- Interaction with teaching peers from various parts of Virginia.
- Develop performance tasks and lessons related to American Revolution history that you can use in the classroom.
- Receive teaching resources to use in your school.
- Earn re-certification points.
Participants will be responsible for completion of an assigned follow-up activity in the fall of 2020.
Submit your application and recommendation by 9 a.m. on April 27, 2020 – click here for instructions for recommendation letters. Administrator recommendations are due by April 27, 2020.