2021 Summer Teacher Institute
July 12-15, 2021
Upper elementary and middle school teachers from across Virginia are invited to apply for the 2021 Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation Summer Teacher Institute. Twenty participants will be selected to join us from July 12 to 15 at Jamestown Settlement in Williamsburg, VA. This institute is funded by the Charles S. and Millicent P. Brown Foundation and provided at no cost to participants. Hotel and meals are also provided.
The 2021 Teacher Institute will begin at 1 p.m., Monday, July 12, and end at 1 p.m., Thursday, July 15. Participants engage in both indoor and outdoor program activities from 8:30 a.m. until 7 p.m. on the second and third days of the Institute. A stipend is provided, and certification of professional development hours will be issued to participants upon completion of the institute and fall follow-up activities.
- Participants are responsible for completing assigned reading of early colonial historical content to prepare for the Teacher Institute. Online reading content and activities will be provided in late spring to allow plenty of time for completion prior to July 12.
- Hands-on guided tour of Jamestown Settlement by education staff.
- Two days-plus of special interactive and authentic learning programs in the Paspahegh Town, ships, riverfront and James Fort
- Collaboration with fellow teachers to design performance tasks and learning activities using resources at our museum and guided by knowledgeable museum staff.
- Interaction with teaching peers from various parts of Virginia.
- Develop performance tasks and lessons related to early Virginia history and the three cultures that converged at Jamestown.
- Receive teaching resources to use in your school.
- Earn re-certification points.
- Participants will be responsible for completion of an assigned follow-up activity in the fall of 2021.
Click on the links below to access instructions for submitting the required online teacher application form and administrator letter of recommendation both due by April 30, 2021.