Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation Summer Teacher Institute Application and Recommendation Instructions
Administrator Recommendation Instructions
We are excited that your teacher has decided to apply for the 2012 Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation’s Summer Teacher Institute! This Summer Teacher Institute is funded by private donors and is offered at no cost to teachers or their school district. In order to complete their application package, we require a school/division administrator recommendation which involves response to the question below. Please review the following information about the Institute and write a recommendation letter that answers the question below. Completed recommendations can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to: Outreach Education, Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation, P.O. Box 1607, Williamsburg, Virginia 23187.
Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation Summer Teacher Institute
Your teacher will explore the story of colonial America firsthand during this weeklong Teacher Institute at Jamestown Settlement and The American Revolution Museum at Yorktown living-history museums. Jamestown Settlement examines the world of America’s first permanent English settlement at Jamestown and the cultures that converged in 17th-century Virginia. The The American Revolution Museum at Yorktown chronicles the American Revolution from the beginnings of colonial unrest to the formation of the new nation.
- Become immersed in the history of 17th-century Jamestown and the 18th-century American Revolution.
- Practice new teaching methods in period costume while interacting with visitors at Jamestown Settlement.
- Experience history through hands-on period activities.
- Participate in SOL-correlated programs, presentations and workshops.
- Take home a kit of reproduction artifacts to use in their classroom.
- Earn up to 35 professional development points.
We receive many applications from Virginia teachers, and selection is based on the content of their application and the recommendation received from their administrator.
When writing your letter of recommendation, please answer the following question:
Why is this teacher a good candidate for the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation’s Summer Teacher Institute, and how will their participation benefit students in your district?
Instructions for submitting the online application form:
- Fill in the information requested in each box.
- Type the numeric character of the security code at the bottom of the form.
- Click on the submit button.
- You will see a message that your application has been submitted.
- Within one week, you will receive an e-mail with confirmation that we received your application along with further instructions or information.
Instructions for submitting the letter of recommendation:
- In order to complete your application package, a letter of recommendation from an administrator in your school/division is required. The letter can be from an assistant principal, principal or central office administrator.
- Print or e-mail the recommendation instructions for your administrator. Once the administrator completes the letter, he/she should e-mail it to email@example.com
- Within one week of receiving the letter of recommendation, you will receive an e-mail confirming that your application package is complete (if we have both your application and recommendation) and let you know what to expect next.