Homeschool Tours and Programs
History is Fun for Homeschool Students at Jamestown Settlement & American Revolution Museum at Yorktown
Homeschool students will love discovering the sights and sounds of the 17th- and 18th-centuries while learning about their nation’s history. Parents will love the variety of curriculum-based education programs offered for a range of grade levels – all taught by trained museum educators during “Homeschool Program Days.”
Homeschool Program Days: September 8-23, 2018
• $12 per family member
• Children ages 3 and under are free.
• Purchase admission tickets online, after June 1, 2018.
• Call reservations at (757) 253-4939 if you need assistance with online ticketing, beginning June 1, 2018.
• In person at either museum during Homeschool Program Days
• Admission to Jamestown Settlement throughout Homeschool Program Days, including the introductory film 1607: A Nation Takes Root, permanent exhibition galleries, replica 1607 ships, re-created Powhatan Indian village, and 1610-1614 colonial fort, and more.
• Admission to the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown throughout Homeschool Program Days, including Revolution-themed films, permanent exhibition galleries, re-created Continental Army encampment and 18th-century Revolution-era farm, along with classroom and special activities.
Based on availability and advance reservations, each ticketholder is also entitled to:
• One two-hour tour at each site, with a choice of a general Family Guided Tour, designed for family members of all ages, or Student Theme Tour, designed to accommodate students in specific age groups.
Homeschool Program Day tickets will be available after June 1, 2018.
JAMESTOWN SETTLEMENT ACTIVITIES
All Jamestown Settlement tours – Family Guided Tours and Student Theme Tours – are available Monday, Wednesday & Friday, September 10, 12, 14, 17, 19 & 21, at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. All tours are two hours in length. A parent or guardian must accompany children age 7 or younger.
Family Guided Tour – All ages
Visit re-creations of a Powhatan Indian village, 1607 ships and colonial fort on this two-hour tour designed to introduce the history and cultures of America’s first permanent English settlement at Jamestown, Virginia.
Student Theme Tours
Powhatan’s People – pre-school through age 7
Primary-age students explore the Powhatan Indian village to learn about daily life and seek out natural resources used to supply food, shelter and clothing. But it’s not all work – children play games Pocahontas may have played, and join in a fun activity to learn new Powhatan Indian words! Includes brief visits to the 1607 ships, re-created 1610-14 colonial fort.
Jamestown Adventure – ages 7 – 12
Intermediate-age students learn about John Smith and other leaders of the Jamestown venture as they explore the governor’s house, soldiers’ barracks and other buildings in the re-created fort. They join a special military drill to help defend the fort and explore the reasons for the struggles the settlers experienced. Includes brief visits to the ships and Powhatan Indian village.
Sailors and Settlers – age 12 and up
Secondary-age students explore a 17th century replica ship while learning to use deduced reckoning to plot a course, how to tell time aboard ship, and lift and store cargo using 17th century technology. They’ll experience living conditions for settlers and sailors for the 144-day voyage from England to Virginia, learn the duties of ships’ boys, and be “tested” on the 32 points of the compass – something all ships’ boys were required to learn!
NEW! AMERICAN REVOLUTION MUSEUM AT YORKTOWN ACTIVITIES
At the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown, Family Guided Tours are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays, September 11, 13, 18 & 20 at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. All tours are two hours in length. A parent or guardian must accompany children age 7 or younger.
Family Guided Tour – all ages
This tour presents an overview of life during the American Revolution, with visits to new immersive galleries with interactive exhibits and the expanded outdoor living history areas – a re-created Continental Army encampment and Revolution-era farm. Hands-on activities throughout the tour enhance the story and engage visitors of every age!
Student Theme Tours
Farmers and Soldiers – Pre-school through age 7
Young children explore living conditions, foodways, chores and games for a farmer and a soldier living at the time of the Revolutionary War. Tour includes an exploratory walk through the new exhibition galleries with a fun focus on the work people did in the 1700s, and visits to the re-created Revolution-era farm and Continental Army encampment for some hands-on learning.
Spies and Codes – age 7-12
This tour takes a light-hearted look at the importance of spies and espionage during the Revolutionary War. Students will learn several codes that were used to keep tabs on the British, and encode messages that would have been important for George Washington to receive during the Siege of Yorktown. The tour includes a visit to the new exhibit galleries and hands-on activities in the re-created Revolution-era farm and Continental Army encampment.
Yorktown Besieged! – age 12 and up
Students will learn how the Americans won the Siege of Yorktown and the role of artillery, trenches and redoubts in the victory. Participants will use math and measuring skills to lay out a redoubt with stakes and string, and build and fill a gabion- a basket-like structure that protected the men as they worked in the trenches. A tour of the gallery includes a viewing of the film, “The Siege of Yorktown,” and activities in the re-created Continental Army encampment.
Can’t visit during Homeschool Program Days?
Our homeschool daily rates are for home educators with their students.
Purchased only onsite at Jamestown Settlement and the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown. One visit per museum.
Not valid during Homeschool Program Days, September 8-23, 2018. Valid homeschool identification must be presented at check in.
The homeschool daily rate is not valid during Homeschool Program Days, September 8-23, 2018.
- Jamestown Settlement & the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown Combination Ticket: $10.25 youth / $13.25 adults
- Jamestown Settlement Ticket: $7.00 youth / $9.00 adults
- The American Revolution Museum at Yorktown Ticket: $7.00 youth / $9.00 adults
For more information about homeschool programs contact group reservations:
(757) 253-4939 • (888) 868-7593 • fax (757) 253-4997 • firstname.lastname@example.org.