Agents of Change
A Youth Leadership Conference October 12—14, 2018
In the 1700s, ordinary people from all walks of life joined together in an American Revolution that changed the world. This was the beginning of an experiment that continues today and relies on the continued leadership and action of American citizens.
Agents of Change is an educational conference, bringing together high school teachers and students from across Virginia to focus on leadership, service and civic responsibility. Students will be inspired to take action by developing projects to improve their community.
The conference will:
- Bring together students and teachers from across the Virginia.
- Focus on leadership, service, and civic responsibility, and inspire students to action using stories of the American Revolution.
- Help teachers and students develop a framework for project-based learning and assessment in social studies.
- Be an active hands-on experience that has students “up and doing.”
- Provide an opportunity for students to collaborate and begin to develop a plan for making an impact in their community.
- Provide teachers with an opportunity to earn professional development points.
- Run on a Friday afternoon, Saturday, and Sunday morning schedule.
The American Revolution Museum at Yorktown will provide overnight accommodations, meals, a travel stipend, and programing at no cost to selected participants.
Participating Virginia teachers will be required to:
- Attend with 4 students from their high school.
- Assist students in development of a project that impacts their community – starting during the program and continuing into the school year.
- Collaborate with students and teachers attending the conference.
- Provide program assessment and follow-up to tell us how the conference and resulting project impacted their students and the community.
To apply for the Agents of Change Conference, please complete the application below.
Applications must be received by April 15, 2018.
By submitting your application, you are agreeing to provide several brief progress reports following the session during the school year.
Send a copy of your resume and letter of support from your principal to:
P.O. Box 1607
Williamsburg, VA 23187
Successful applicants will be notified in early May 2018.