Agents of Change
July 19-22, 2020 - A Youth Leadership Conference at The American Revolution Museum at Yorktown
Ordinary people made extraordinary choices that changed the world during the American Revolution. The need for change continues still, and relies on the leadership and action of American citizens, including today’s youth.
“Agents of Change” brings together high school students and their teachers or organization leaders from across Virginia to focus on leadership, service and civic responsibility. Students will be inspired to take action by developing projects to improve their community.
This Virginia youth leadership conference will:
- Help students and leaders develop a framework for project-based learning and assessment in social studies.
- Be an active hands-on experience that has students “up and doing”.
- Provide an opportunity for students to collaborate and begin to develop a plan for making an impact in their community.
The American Revolution Museum at Yorktown will provide overnight accommodations, meals, a travel stipend and programming at no cost to selected participants.
Virginia teachers and organization leaders will be required to:
- Attend with 2-4 students.
- Assist students in development of a project that impacts their community—starting during the program and continuing during the year.
- Collaborate with students and leaders attending the conference.
- Provide program assessment and follow-up to tell us how the conference and resulting project impacted their students and the community.
AGENTS OF CHANGE APPLICATION FORM
The first “Agents of Change” youth leadership conference brought together high school students from rural, suburban and urban communities from across Virginia to focus on service learning and civic responsibility. Students returned home with the framework to implement service projects in their communities.
Civic leader and patriotic philanthropist David M. Rubenstein was the keynote speaker, sharing with the students his own perspective on civic engagement and the importance of American history. Gifts and grants made during the American Revolution at Yorktown Campaign for Support provided full scholarships for participants.
The “Agents of Change” youth leadership conference will be presented again in 2020 thanks to the support of the Camp Foundations, the Carter Cabell Chinnis Charitable Trust, and the Chinnis Charitable Remainder Annuity Trust.