All applications must be received by 11:59 p.m. on the closing date.
TITLE: Executive Director, VA 250
SALARY: $115,000 – $125,000 with state benefits
Virginia’s history is America’s story: complex, diverse and promising, a multicultural story that in the Revolutionary era was Native American, European, African and American, and is now so much richer for its diversity. Focusing on Revolutionary events in 1775 and 1776, the Virginia Semiquincentennial will embrace the inclusive history and narrative breadth of the era, and mark the origins of a revolutionary new nation.
Formed by Virginia’s General Assembly in 2020, the American Revolution 250 Commission will formulate and implement a program for the inclusive observance of the 250th anniversary of the independence of the United States and the Revolutionary War in Virginia. Now, the Commission seeks to hire an Executive Director to lead its efforts on behalf of the Commonwealth.
Guided by the following key themes, this commemoration provides an exceptional opportunity for a dynamic and innovative leader to shape public engagement in history at a time of great reflection, reckoning, and need for a better understanding of our past in order to shape a more vibrant future.
– Virginia is a powerfully historical place, home to sites and stories essential to our American story.
– The Revolutionary challenge continues.
– Here in Virginia, the American Revolution was a war, and more than a war.
– We can tell our history to reflect the fullest American story.
The Executive Director will serve as the principal partner and liaison to Virginia’s American Revolution 250 Commission and will provide overall direction of commemoration staff (up to approximately 6 FTEs), volunteers, and advisors. A primary goal of the Commission is to convene and facilitate a Commonwealth-wide commemoration, inclusive of multiple partners and representative of the diverse individuals, histories, stories, and communities that define Virginia. As such, the Executive Director will be responsible for communicating, coordinating, and collaborating with individuals, organizations, and entities in order to advance and implement the strategic objectives of the Commission.
In doing so, the Executive Director will work closely with, and actively support, an array of historical, educational and tourism organizations statewide to maximize opportunities related to the commemorative period. The Executive Director will also collaborate with similar groups across the nation as well as with representatives of the national 250th commission.
The Executive Director also will be responsible for large-scale project management, developing operational procedures and materials, coordination of commemoration planning, fundraising, budgets, events, and activities. The Executive Director will develop and implement communication systems to build awareness of the 250th commemoration. Focus also will be placed on leveraging public and private resources and providing effective management as projects and events are developed and implemented. This is a restricted position with an end date of December 31, 2027.
TO QUALIFY: Proven senior management experience working with state and local officials, boards, and educational and tourism-related organizations. History of strategic marketing experience needed. Strong budget and project management skills are required. Outstanding writing and editing skills with experience delivering clear and persuasive oral, written and digital communications. Fundraising experience helpful. Experience planning and executing events with national significance is a plus.
TO APPLY: Please submit an application either online at virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com or by contacting the Director of Human Resources at email@example.com for additional application options. Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. on August 13, 2021. Applicants will only be screened based on what is presented in the Commonwealth of Virginia employment application and related documents. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all persons and applicants, without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, genetic information, race, religion, sexual orientation, sex (including pregnancy) or veteran status. JYF encourages and invites minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. We also consider all qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, in a manner consistent with legal requirements.
TITLE: Communications Specialist—Online Content (Classified)
SALARY: $46,000-$51,000 plus State Benefit Package
We are seeking a qualified individual to join Media Relations in the Marketing & Public Relations department to maximize public awareness of and interest in the Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation and its two museums, education programs and other services, leading to increased paid visitation and earned revenue for the state agency. The primary role of this position is to support and enhance JYF online marketing efforts to stimulate media and consumer interest through the website, social media platforms and publications, including writing, editing and reviewing content for public distribution, while working collaboratively and effectively with internal and external partners. A key focus is marketing website maintenance, including analytics and design, maintaining support for paid advertising campaigns and organic social media. This position supports a wide range of media relations efforts, including coordinating filming requests and escorting media guests at the museums.
– Experience in developing and creating website content focusing on user interface/engagement design, and knowledge of analytic tools and programs.
– Proficient in website content management and social media platforms.
– Able to work collaboratively and effectively with all levels of staff and the public.
– Organized, with a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and work independently.
– Excellent written and oral communication skills.
– Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat and Photoshop programs. Knowledge of digital publishing, digitizing and editing photography for website and print publications, and writing and editing for web and print formats, following elements of AP Style.
– Minimum of five years recent work experience, with a tourism/museum/education/marketing focus, in writing for publication and/or broadcast, producing publications, implementing social media and website management strategies, and coordinating media and filming/photography projects is strongly preferred.
– Additional knowledge and skills desired: A bachelor’s degree in a communication or liberal arts field is preferred.
– State health benefits & flexible spending accounts.
– Paid leave including sick leave, personal leave, annual leave accruals, and 12 holidays.
– Some telework & alternate work schedule options available.
– Professional development opportunities.
– Retirement savings plans with limited employer match available (VRS).
– Life & Long-Term care insurance.
– Employee Assistance Program.
– Employee discounts for companies including Verizon, Enterprise, Choice Hotels, and many more!
This position has the opportunity for promotional movement within the Marketing & Public Relations and other agencies within the Commonwealth of Virginia. We believe that long-term career growth is a key aspect of job satisfaction!
To Apply: Please submit an application either online at virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com or by contacting Human Resources for additional application options. Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. on July 26, 2021. Applicants only will be screened based on what is presented in the Commonwealth of Virginia employment application and related documents. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all persons and applicants, without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, genetic information, race, religion, sexual orientation, sex (including pregnancy) or veteran status. JYF encourages and invites minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. We also consider all qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, in a manner consistent with legal requirements.
All applications must be received by 11:59 p.m. on the closing date.
There are no part-time positions currently available.
Benefits available for full-time employees can be reviewed on the Department of Human Resource Management’s benefit page at: dhrm.virginia.gov/employeebenefits. You must complete an online application for employment consideration at the Commonwealth of Virginia Online Employment System. All applications must be received by 11:59 p.m. on the closing date.
If you have further Human Resources questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on benefits from the Commonwealth of Virginia, visit the Department of Human Resource Management.
Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation Hiring Guidelines
- The Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral and other aspects of employment, on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin or disability (Civil Rights Act, 1964 and Americans with Disabilities Act 1990).
- Job applicants are screened based on what is presented in the Commonwealth of Virginia employment application, which doesn’t include any candidate-related references to potential discriminatory factors. A background and E-Verify checks are required.
- Third-person interpretive practices (not actors) are used in interpretive areas. The Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation hires persons who can effectively share the important stories of 17th- and 18th-century Virginia to audiences of all ages and backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin or disability.