Homeschool Tours and Programs
History is Fun for Homeschool Students at Jamestown Settlement & American Revolution Museum at Yorktown
Homeschool students will love discovering the sights and sounds of the 17th- and 18th-centuries while learning about their nation’s history. Parents will love the variety of curriculum-based education programs offered for a range of grade levels – all taught by trained museum educators during “Homeschool Program Days.”
2017 Homeschool Program Days: September 9-24
“Homeschool Program Days” on September 9-24 at Jamestown Settlement and the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown will offer exciting new programs with immersive hands-on activities for your homeschool students! Your child not only will learn about life at Jamestown in the 17th century and Yorktown during the American Revolution, they’ll experience it!
Depending on the age group, students can dig in a garden in the re-created Powhatan Indian village, march in a military pike drill in the re-created colonial fort, or use simple machines to raise sails and cargo on board one of the three re-created ships at Jamestown Settlement. At the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown, students can decode spy messages.
Visitors also can take in the Jamestown Settlement special exhibition, “Bartering for a Continent: How Anglo-Indian Trade Shaped America,” which explores the importance of trade between American Indians and Jamestown colonists and the development of a new world of exchange and offers interactive bartering experiences. A family scavenger hunt will be offered at the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown. Programs will be offered for children ages 7 and younger, ages 8-12 and ages 13-18, with content and activities specifically designed for their age group and curriculum. Families also can book a tour offering an introduction to Jamestown and Yorktown history. All tours last two hours.
• $12 per family member
• Children ages 3 and under are free.
• Purchase admission tickets online, then call reservations to book specific activities.
• Call reservations at (757) 253-4939
• In person at either museum during Homeschool Program Days
• Admission to Jamestown Settlement throughout Homeschool Program Days, including the introductory film 1607: A Nation Takes Root, permanent exhibition galleries, including “Bartering for a Continent” special exhibition, replica 1607 ships, re-created Powhatan Indian village, and 1610-1614 colonial fort, along with new activities.
• Admission to the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown throughout Homeschool Program Days, including Revolutionary-themed films, American Revolution timeline, re-created Continental Army encampment and 18th-century Revolution-period farm, along with classroom and special activities.
Based on availability and advance reservations, each ticketholder is also entitled to:
• One two-hour tour at each site, with a choice of a general family guided tour, designed for family members of all ages, or student theme tour, designed to accommodate students in specific ages groups.
• Tours must be booked in advance by calling reservations at (757) 253-4939. Call early to ensure a spot! Deadline for advance reservations is 5 p.m. three business days prior to the program/tour.
• Jamestown Settlement’s “Bartering for a Continent” special exhibition with children’s trade activity.
• At Jamestown Settlement, a new GPS-based augmented reality activity, “Search to Survive” (use your own device).
• A family scavenger hunt at The American Revolution Museum at Yorktown.
JAMESTOWN SETTLEMENT ACTIVITIES
All Jamestown Settlement tours – Family Guided Tours and Student Theme Tours – are available Monday, Wednesday & Friday, September 12, 14, 16, 19, 21 & 23, at 10 a.m., 1 p.m. or 2 p.m. All tours are two hours in length. A parent or guardian must accompany children age 7 or younger.
Family Guided Tour – All ages
Visit re-creations of a Powhatan Indian village, 1607 ships and colonial fort on this two-hour tour designed to introduce the history and cultures of America’s first permanent English settlement at Jamestown, Virginia.
Powhatan’s People – pre-school through age 7
Primary-age students explore the Powhatan Indian village to learn about daily life and seek out natural resources used to supply food, shelter and clothing. But it’s not all work – children play games Pocahontas may have played, and join in a fun activity to learn new Powhatan Indian words! Includes brief visits to the 1607 ships, re-created 1610-14 colonial fort and special exhibition, “Bartering for a Continent.”
Jamestown Adventure– ages 7 – 12
Intermediate-age students learn about John Smith and other leaders of the Jamestown venture as they explore the governor’s house, soldiers’ barracks and other buildings in the re-created fort. They join a special military drill to help defend the fort and explore the reasons for the struggles the settlers experienced. Includes brief visits to the ships and Powhatan Indian village.
Sailors and Settlers – age 13 and up
Secondary-age students explore a 17th century replica ship while learning to use deduced reckoning to plot a course, how to tell time aboard ship, and lift and store cargo using 17th century technology. They’ll experience living conditions for settlers and sailors for the 144-day voyage from England to Virginia, learn the duties of ships’ boys, and be “tested” on the 32 points of the compass – something all ships’ boys were required to learn!
YORKTOWN VICTORY CENTER ACTIVITIES
At the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown, Family Guided Tours are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays, September 13, 15, 20 & 22 at 10 a.m., 1 p.m. or 2 p.m. All tours are two hours in length. A parent or guardian must accompany children age 7 or younger.
Family Guided Tour – all ages
This tour presents an overview of life during the American Revolution, with visits to the re-created Continental Army encampment and Revolution-era farm. Hands-on activities in the classroom enhance the story, and a musket drill completes the experience.
Can’t visit during Homeschool Program Days?
Our homeschool daily rates are for home educators with their students.
Purchased only onsite at Jamestown Settlement and the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown. One visit per museum.
Not valid during Homeschool Program Days. Valid homeschool identification must be presented at check in.
- Jamestown Settlement & the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown Combination Ticket: $10.25 youth / $13.25 adults
- Jamestown Settlement Ticket: $7.00 youth / $9.00 adults
- The American Revolution Museum at Yorktown Ticket: $7.00 youth / $9.00 adults
For more information about homeschool programs contact group reservations:
(757) 253-4939 • (888) 868-7593 • fax (757) 253-4997 • firstname.lastname@example.org.